In Matagalpa Tours we are committed to the cultural integrity of every place we visit. With our authentic travel experiences we support our providers, along with local economy development, environmental conservation, and the natural and cultural heritage of every town, community, and nature reserve that forms a part of our tours. For this reason Matagalpa Tours maintains a focus of sustainability in:
Our destinations, to ensure that the local participants reinforce and share information and knowledge about the responsible use of their natural and cultural resources, for their environmental, social, and economic well-being; and about the conservation of these resources for future generations.
- We prioritize destinations where the inhabitants are conscientious and willing to apply sustainable practices.
- We inform and share with local participants, about our sustainability action plan.
- We share with decision makers information about the possible negative effects of tourism, such as: human trafficking, commercial sexual exploitation of children and adolescents, the increase in liquid and solid waste, the loss of cultural values and identity, among others.
- On our tours we enhance and highlight the cultural and natural riches of the destination being visited.
Our clients are informed about the destinations to visit; they respect, value, and learn about the local nature and culture; they are responsible during their retreats in Nicaragua; and they experience authentic Nicaraguan life.
- All of our clients can receive more information about sustainable tours through the information on our website as well as information included directly in their travel schedules.
- We inform our clients beforehand about the realities of Nicaragua, about the local culture and the protection of natural resources, by way of a code of conduct for visitors.
- We also inform our clients about security measures, weather, climate, and possible risks on our tours.
- We inform our clients about our policy of protection toward children and adolescents, and respect towards indigenous communities.
- We inform about tours that can be made via public transportation whenever possible to avoid generating more CO2 emissions and reduce our carbon footprint, as compared to using private transportation.
Our providers have more information and their commitment to internal self-evaluation makes them every time more responsible and conscious of the impact of their services and of the needs our visitors seek to satisfy, considering the environment.
- We have signed cooperation agreements with our key suppliers to implement sustainable practices.
- We share with our suppliers our policy of sustainability and respect for indigenous communities.
- We share information and train our major suppliers to prevent the commercial sexual exploitation of children and adolescents.
Our team is engaged and empowered with the internal management of Matagalpa Tours to ensure labor welfare, efficient use of natural and cultural resources and economic profitability.
- Our team monitors and counsels providers in rural areas about sustainability issues, nutrition, and construction with local materials.
- We have a Sustainability team that leads actions involving the entire staff of Matagalpa Tours.
- Since 2012 our team has spent 7.680 volunteer hours a year, reflected in environmental tours with children, participation in educational fairs, and reforestation projects.
- Over the past four years, our team has provided 60 free environmental education and interpretation tours for 900 children from public schools, through the Environmental Education Program Agualí.